Saturday, March 20, 2004

HYPE-OPP AT THE SDLFF

Dulce and Israel get interviewed about the film and they can’t remember the name of it. They just make up numbers. I get interviewed by Avenida Libre and I can hardly enunciate the numbers and I fumble the synopsis because I am afraid I will mix Spanish and English and I will be called a pocha. It takes us forever, as always, to get out of the theater to go to the party. I start bitching about how we always get to the parties late and the food and booze are gone. Can’t we continue shmoozing at the party? Laura hasn’t even gotten dressed yet, so we have to stop at my apartment on the way to the Westgate. Giancarlo, Israel and I have a beer and watch my silent draft while we wait for Laura to get ready. Finally, we get to the party. Luckily, they still have food in the VIP section. I notice there is a lot more silicon around this year than last and that the hotel is now under fascist management. The security guards walk around with megaphones kicking people out. Of course, no one pays attention and I get in a fight with the security guards. They try to threaten me, but I just call them fascists. This is at the fancy Westgate Hotel. We squeeze into an elevator to go to one of the rooms to continue partying. Laura says that the girls in the room are hookers. How would she know? Just because they look the part doesn’t mean they charge. We get invited to another party downtown, but Laura and Giancarlo insist they want food. We go to a taco stand and I buy us dinner. We go back to the party, but it is dead and it is almost 4 a.m. , so we go home. We have to be back at the theater at 1:30 p.m. for the “Insecto” screening, so we better get to bed soon.

Lesson: You need to be prepared to talk about your film. Memorize and rehearse your spiel. Hype and buzz are key.

No comments: